[gdal-dev] Motion: remove and deprecate a few drivers

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 3 15:55:45 PST 2021

Frank,
> Even,
>
> I'm -1 on this motion as it stands.  There are a quite a few formats
> that I think we ought to continue to support for archival purposes
> indefinitely including FIT, JDEM, GMT, DOQ1/2, LAN, MFF, NDF, SDTS,
> SGI, XPM, and TIGER.  I am prepared to be listed as supporting
> maintainer for these drivers.

Those formats were aimed for the runtime deprecation mechanism. The idea
was to get ~ 1 year feedback period to see if people really need that
nowadays, which I strongly doubt about. There are Docker images of older
GDAL versions available for people that would still need to access such
archives. I believe I tried to make previously the point that the issue
wasn't the individual maintenance of those formats, but the weight they
had to the whole for little benefit to the majority of users & developers.

Are you OK at least with the removal of the drivers I mentioned in the
first bullet of the motion ? (the ones of
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3373). I'm not willing to support
them any longer (and I'm not asking anyone to step up for that!)

Even