[gdal-dev] Motion: remove and deprecate a few drivers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 3 16:16:34 PST 2021

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 6:55 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Even,
>
> I'm -1 on this motion as it stands.  There are a quite a few formats that
> I think we ought to continue to support for archival purposes
> indefinitely including FIT, JDEM, GMT, DOQ1/2, LAN, MFF, NDF, SDTS, SGI,
> XPM, and TIGER.  I am prepared to be listed as supporting maintainer for
> these drivers.
>
> Those formats were aimed for the runtime deprecation mechanism. The idea
> was to get ~ 1 year feedback period to see if people really need that
> nowadays, which I strongly doubt about. There are Docker images of older
> GDAL versions available for people that would still need to access such
> archives. I believe I tried to make previously the point that the issue
> wasn't the individual maintenance of those formats, but the weight they had
> to the whole for little benefit to the majority of users & developers.
>
> Are you OK at least with the removal of the drivers I mentioned in the
> first bullet of the motion ? (the ones of
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3373). I'm not willing to support them
> any longer (and I'm not asking anyone to step up for that!)
> Even
>
> -- http://www.spatialys.com
>
> Even,

I'm ok with the removal list.  I do not really agree with the deprecating
the formats I listed.  I feel like the deprecate and wait for useful
feedback is more appropriate to formats that are hard to support now (like
those depending on external libraries) and that the main kind of feedback
to be sought would be someone willing to be responsible for them.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com
light and sound - activate the windows | +1 650-701-7823