[gdal-dev] GDAL /vsistdin/ 1MB limit

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue May 4 02:25:58 PDT 2021

/vsistdin/ is only meant for format whose reading is compatible of a
streamed reading, that is you read bytes as they come from stdin. Which
is only a subset of formats, and PDF is not in that subset (typically
the cross reference table to objects is always put at the end of the
file, hence the Seek(SEEK_END error you get). The 1 MB limit corresponds
to the amount of data that is cached at the beginning of the file (this
helps for drivers that do almost streamed reading, but do some backward
seeks in their header part). Beyond that, /vsimem/ doesn't buffer
anything, so if the driver  tries to seek back, that  fails. This 1MB
limit could potentially be changed to be runtime configured, but that's
not the case currently.