[gdal-dev] gdal2tiles.py - next step

Clay, Bruce bclay at infoscitex.com
Mon Nov 8 06:37:06 PST 2021

I am trying to add WMTS / TMS to our current WMS mapserver.  I have some map tiles generated by gdal2tiles.py that appear to be valid.  There is a tilemapresource.xml file in the root of each tile set.

I am not sure the correct forum to ask this question but how do I configure mapserver to serve one of these tile sets when there is not a corresponding original source to put in the mapserver configuration file? I added the mapcache.xml file as follows

   <cache name="bm_200401" type = "disk">
     <base>H:/ms4w/cache/BlueMarbleTiles_200401</base>
</cache>

   <tileset name="bluemarble200401">
      <source>bluemarble_src</source>
      <cache>bm_200401</cache>
      <metatile>5 5</metatile>
      <format>PNG</format>
      <grid>WGS84</grid>

      <metadata>
        <title>Blue Marble 200401</title>
        <abstract>Blue Marble - January 2004 - tiles</abstract>
        <keywords>
          <keyword>Blue Marble</keyword>
          <keyword>tiles</keyword>
        </keywords>
      </metadata>
   </tileset>

   <tileset name="bluemarble200401">
      <source>bluemarble_src</source>
      <cache>bm_200401</cache>
      <metatile>5 5</metatile>
      <format>PNG</format>
      <grid>WGS84</grid>

      <metadata>
        <title>Blue Marble 200401</title>
        <abstract>Blue Marble - January 2004 - tiles</abstract>
        <keywords>
          <keyword>Blue Marble</keyword>
          <keyword>tiles</keyword>
        </keywords>
      </metadata>
   </tileset>

When I select the tile set in QGIS using
http://localhost/mapcache/wmts?service=wmts&request=getcapabilities&version=1.0.0

All of the layers show as available layers but the only ones that show on the map are the ones that have an entry in the WMS map file.

>From my understanding the tilemapresource.xml file generate by gdal2tiles.py specifies the zoom levels and resolution but it is not specified in any of the configuration files.

Bruce