[gdal-dev] RFC 84: Migrating build systems to CMake

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Oct 5 09:48:40 PDT 2021

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> For most packaging system, the set of dependencies available at build
> time is fully controlled by the package requirements. We can assume
> that whatever if available is wished to be used, and ideally a plain
> "cmake .." should automatically find what is available. And if the
> packager properly enumerates its build-time and run-time dependencies,
> that should work.

Generally yes, but the main mechanism is constructing include/lib paths
so that #include, -l and pkgconfig files of things that aren't declared
are not found.  So the cmake build ideally would be trying to
include/link to test if libraries are present, similar to how autoconf
does, rather than reaching out to the filesystem directly to look for
specific files.   But if there's a foo=no equivalent to --disable-foo,
it's not that hard.