[gdal-dev] gdallocationinfo + WCS question...

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 08:47:18 PDT 2021

Hi,

I am trying to use gdallocationinfo to query point locations from a WCS
server and not having any luck. I don't see anything in the docs that says
this is unsupported but I can't make it work.

First of all, is there a better way to get an elevation from a given
lat,lon using WCS?

Here's an example query using the USGS National Map server:

gdallocationinfo "WCS:
https://elevation.nationalmap.gov:443/arcgis/services/3DEPElevation/ImageServer/WCSServer?version=2.0.1&coverage=DEP3Elevation"
-wgs84 -122.086 42.948 --debug ON

This is a point in the middle of Crater Lake which I picked since it's flat
and I know what to expect.

Anyway, looking at the debug output it appears that the program is querying
for a GeoTIFF of a VERY large area and that's failing.

I actually want to do this with my own WCS server but thought it might be
mis-configured somehow so I tried the USGS server.  With my own server,
gdallocationinfo seems to be requesting a strange shape from the server (as
I can see through the debug output).

Thanks for any help,

carl