[gdal-dev] Migration of GDAL Docker images from docker.io to ghcr.io

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 16 06:15:47 PDT 2023

Hi,

All open source projects with docker images hosted on docker.io have
recently received a "Docker is sunsetting Free Team organizations"
email, which indicates that they will be suspending our account on April
14, 2023 unless we upgrade to a paid subscription (cf
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/7447). There's little interest in
doing so (I've also tried to apply to their open source program, but
there's some indication that it won't qualify for it), given that GitHub
Container repository (ghcr.io) does the same job without the rate limit,
so I've instead migrated the existing images to the ghcr.io.  You can
see them at https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pkgs/container/gdal

So instead of osgeo/gdal:{tagname}, you must now use
ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:{tagname}

Our scripts and docs have been updated per
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/7463 . New images will no longer be
pushed to the docker.io registry. Existing images remain for now, until
the account gets suspended (or even if Docker back-pedals, I guess we'll
eventually remove the *-latest tags to avoid people using outdated stuff
without knowing)

Even