[gdal-dev] Building GDAL with autoconf for Android on Windows

Andrew Patterson andrew at avenza.com
Thu Mar 30 17:28:54 PDT 2023

Hello!

We've been using a custom CMakeLists.txt for years to build a subset of
GDAL for Android but I'm attempting to move us to building it properly.
Unfortunately, we can't move to 3.5+ quite yet (I'm hoping soon) so I'm
stuck with autoconf. I was happily surprised at how quickly I passed
through the configure step (many thanks Google's NDK page with a very
helpful autoconf section) but now I'm running into a rather stupid blocker.

I'm building this using git bash on a Windows machine, and I suspect that's
the root of my problem. Basically, when I run make on my configured system,
it screws up the quoting on INST_DATA & SYSCONF_DIR. The command being
executed looks something like:

... yada yada ... -DINST_DATA=\"/c/prefix_path/shared\"
-DSYSCONF_DIR=\"/c/prefix_path/etc\"

If I copy the command being executed and change that part to:

... yada yada ... -DINST_DATA="\"/c/prefix_path/shared\""
-DSYSCONF_DIR="\"/c/prefix_path/etc\""

It works. It also works if fully remove the defines for INST_DATA &
SYSCONF_DIR, which I know is safe because we never defined those in our old
CMakeLists.txt and everything worked fine (we were specifying the properly
locations ahead of time so it never needed to look in any default places).

Now, obviously manually copying the commands isn't the right fix, but maybe
someone knows how to fix the quoting? Or, frankly, is there an option I'm
missing (or some other magic trick) to tell it not to include INST_DATA or
SYSCONF_DIR at all?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! This looked like it was going
to be a quick job and it turned into a frustrating full-day failure :(

[image: Avenza Systems Logo]
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.avenza.com/&source=gmail-html&ust=1678977468213000&usg=AOvVaw3ajVwWQPLnJ8kVQuKtUNKi>

*Andrew Patterson*
Desktop Lead Architect