[OSGeodata] WFS-basic and geometadata exchange

Pat Cappelaere pat at cappelaere.com
Mon Oct 23 09:14:02 EDT 2006

Jo,

BTW, I believe that WFS-Basic should have a keyword filter.  This is a big
topic of discussion!  This would still keep it simple.

However, I think that the DescribeFeatureType function and the "pile" of
XMLSchema description verbiage being returned now pushes it over the top to
WFS-Complex.

So I guess we need a good definition of WS-Basic.  I am certain to be
challenged here but... Go for it!

To me, this means:
    - A simple http get
    - No coding required on client side
    - No XML/XSLT skills required on client side
    - Easy to implement on server side
    - Specification of one page or less
    - Output readable in a simple browser or news feed reader.

The best example to me is Google News.
Simply point your browser to: http://news.google.com/?output=atom
Works great with Safari.

Couldn't we think of a similar output for a simple catalog service for the
rest of us?

Cheers,

Pat.