[Geo4All] [OSGeo-Discuss] Tackling the Open Source dilemma

Munich Orientation Convention volksnav at volksnav.de
Tue Nov 28 00:37:13 PST 2017

Hi Barend,

specially for you, I've included Enschede within the 500 cities of the
VolksNav app, so also your students could get StreetSmart. Geocaching is a
good method to discover the difference between smartness and w3w.

Always when I affirm that I don't understand why intelligent people promote
the single purpose w3w, I take the liberty to cite your home page
https://kartoweb.itc.nl/kobben/. Would you recommend words to answer the
question "where is the cow?".

In my case, even a cowboy in Uganda could understand the answer without
maps, without devices and without source codes. GeoForAll, also for cowboys.

The board members who take black or white decisions about openness seem to
have the following characteristics:

- to be rich or have a good job
- to be too young to know anything about the proven method "symbolic fees"

- have no own intellectual properties. 	Remark: QGIS, Linux etc. aren't
inventions, just copies.

So the alternative quasiOpen in favor of the consumer AND the merit
principle has never been discussed yet.

I'd appreciate very much if you'd answer to the community the following
arising questions:

-	why do you promote the proprietary w3w? Aren't you defender of open
souce?
-	why do you try to impede discussions about the proposed quasiOpen?
-	Do your students know that it is possible to divide the horizon into
12 directions?
-	Do you motivate your students to be creative? With which arguments?
Nobel prize?

I'd be more than glad if you'd in favor of your students, the consumer and
inventors rethink your position about the dilemma. A start with logical room
numbers in www.volksnav.de/UniTwente would be an adequate way.

Thank you in advance,

Henrique