[Geo4All] [OSGeo-Discuss] UN-GGIM The Future Trends in geospatial information management: the five to ten year vision

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Sun Nov 8 03:07:28 PST 2020

Hi Suchith,

thank you for responding, and as well for your patience - weekends allow me to
catch up.

I respectfully disagree with your view - the report implies to operate on some
high standard which however it fails to fulfil.
Thank you for the kind invitation to participate, I will see that I find time
once I learn about it. Looking at the list archives actually I could find one
single invitation [1] (as we all know normally you would send several), and that
was quite indirect: "share your inputs for the digital divide sub theme". Not
sufficiently open and transparent.
As you know from science: when you submit an article and reviewers criticize it
saying "next time join us to make it better" is not going to be instrumental. As
professionals we know our business.
And indeed the document does grossly violate basic principles of open science,
including (but not limited to) not clearly disclosing persons responsible; not
disclosing the methodology; strong unilateral bias; completely ignoring the
state of the art; etc.

Let's do a thought experiment for a crosscheck: think of ESRI sending this
report, only mentioning ESRI; and think of your response coming from ESRI
instead - would the community enjoy that?

Some Sunday thoughts,
Peter

[1]
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Third-Edition-of-UN-GGIM-Future-Trends-report-Inputs-for-Bridging-the-digital-divide-td5409578.html

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com