[geomoose-psc] support page location

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Mar 11 10:20:36 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/11/2015 11:16 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>> Right now to get to the support pages, the path I need to take is
>>
>> geomoose.org-->Documentation-->2.7-->Getting Started-->Feature
>> Overview--> then clicking on either link:
>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/commercial_support.html
>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/mailing_lists.html
> Oh yeah... website organization, we were working on that once upon a
> time.  My opinion is it should be linked from the www.geomoose.org site
> (which is about project level details) rather than the docs pages (which
> are about specific versions of the software).

Good point.

>> That seems like excessively low prominence and difficult to access.
>>
>> 1. Is there an obvious and easier route that I'm missing?
> From www.geomoose.org:
>
>   Type support into the Quick Search?
>    -- or --
>   Look under GeoMoose Support at the bottom on www.geomoose.org
>    -- or --
>   Click on GeoMoose Support at the end of the Table of Contents
> -- or --
> https://www.google.com/search?q=geomoose+support

Oh, good, it is already there (if looking in the correct place).  So
then my proposed actions to 'reorganization' is mostly deleting from
the improper place.  In the last PSC meeting, it sounded that Jim and
I agree that we had too much good documentation and things would be
better is half of it was deleted.  This can be a small start at that.

>> 2. In the past, Bob (I think) has suggested putting it in the top bar.
>> I generally think that is a good idea (but also generally I don't like
>> a lot in navigation bars).
>> 3. Hmm, our top bar is out of date (points to trac). We should remove
>> "wiki" link even if it still exists with minimal use, I think that
>> "Demo" and "Download" should be removed too since they are on main
>> site, "Documentation" can be removed too since that is the same as
>> "home".
> I presume you are talking about docs.geomoose.org here:  I think the
> whole top bar can go except maybe for adding a link back to
> www.geomoose.org.  The top nav bar causes problems with the PDF version
> anyway (as documents in the nav bar are not in the table of contents and
> so do not get included in the PDF unless they are also included elsewhere.)

Yes, docs.geomoose.org.  I would like to keep a top bar to the
(correct) ticketing system.  How about the GeoMoose logo goes to
geomoose.org and 'home' goes to the home of the docs page you're one?
Currently the 'documentation' top bar is broken, I've been meaning to
log in to the server and look at Apache configs to see why it works
for 2.6 and master but not 2.7.  Then perhaps update,
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose-website/blob/master/source/developer/release.rst
(if that top bar is going to stick around).

We also have some overlap here,
http://geomoose.org/developer/index.html and here,
http://docs.geomoose.org/master/developer/index.html.  Seems project
specific not software specific.

>> So my plan is to drastically reconfigure things.  Does anyone have
>> input or want to work together?

Now that Jim pointed out that I missed the obvious information in the
correct location and was failing to maintain the separation between
the website (which is about project level details) and the docs pages
(which are about specific versions of the software), my plan is to
continue the website/docs reorganization.  I plan to delete the
duplicate project specific details in the docs pages, specifically the
support details.  I'll also winnow down the top bar.

Does anyone have input or want to work together on the revised plan?

Eli