[Geomoose-users] Different projections, Make a new one

Fischer, Brian bfischer at houstonengineeringinc.com
Wed Oct 17 20:48:14 EDT 2007

Gary,

I want to make sure you understand how GeoMOOSE is working with
projections.  The code itself really doesn't care what projection the
data is in.  We rely on the data source to handle reprojections if
needed. For example if your data source is a MapServer service you would
define the projection in the mapfile.  If your data source is WMS, the
WMS would have to support the projection you want to request.  We don't
want to transform the images on the client site because of performance
issues.

As far as the UTM.js, all that is doing is reprojecting the mouseover
coordinates to lat/long for the coordinate display on the bottom of the
interface in the footer.  Currently GeoMOOSE only supports transforming
the coordinates for the interface display from UTM to lat/long or MN
County Coordinates to Lat/Lon.

If you want GeoMOOSE to display the mouseover coordinates in the
mapunits of the data layers, then all you need to do is have these
variables in your configuration.js file set "var MAP_COORDINATE_DISPLAY
= true;" and "var MAP_COORDINATE_SYSTEM = ''";".  This will keep
GeoMOOSE from trying to display a lat/lon.  We maybe could use a little
work on naming these variables to something more logical, but it's a
start :-).

If you want GeoMOOSE to project the mouseover coordinates to lat/lon for
the interface display then you would need to add a javascript library
that does the math to transform the coordinates from SRID 2163 to
lat/lon.  Ideally in the future we would add the Proj.4 JS port that is
going on as part of the mapbuilder project, so almost any projection
would be support for the mouseover coordinate display.

If this doesn't make sense or you need more clarification, please
respond back and we'll try to help out.

-Brian