[Geomoose-users] itemquery.php timeout

Johan Forsman Johan.Forsman at LA.GOV
Thu Nov 19 16:17:17 EST 2009

Hello All:

This is another followup to my earlier question on the seach function and layer activation.

GM2.0.1, patched from base MS4W package.

The search works quite well now, and I have successfully customized the html template to display the info I want.

Now I have a timeout problem, which is sometimes circumvented by increasing the php timeout value to 60 seconds (unless someone else uses the mapserver at the same time).

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\ms4w\apps\geomoose2\htdocs\php\itemquery.php on line 101

The initial search against one of the shapefiles takes 40 seconds or more. I can understand this since there are 180,000 records in that shapefile. I have indexed it with shptree.

However, if I click on one of the other returned records, I have to again wait a very similar amount of time, most of which is waiting for the highlighted layer to draw. It appears from the user's perspective as if the query is rerun every time one clicks on a link in the result list.

I have set the search function to zoom to first hit.

Default layers are roads and waterways, they are on unless manually turned off.
The data I query against are points (water-well locations).

I completed the following exercise to test:

Reload map.
Execute search for a name in the "Owner" field of the large database (~180,000 records)
Number of records returned: 22.
Time to return list of records: 49 seconds.
Time to draw layers zoomed to first hit: 8 seconds (57 cumulative seconds)
Time to draw highlighted layer: 56 seconds (113 cumulative seconds).

Then I clicked on a few of the other results in the list and in each case it took 7 seconds to zoom to that result and draw the layers, but 45 additional seconds for the highlight layer to appear, during which time the Firefox statusbar indicates "Transferring data from [my hostname]...", and at which end the statusbar indicates "Done". If there are other requests on the server the result appears to be the PSOD, presumably due to the aforementioned timeout error.

Firebug confirms the amount of time that the itemquery.php request takes, but I am regrettably largely untrained in the art of deciphering the balance of the output.

Is there enlightenment to be found from the list members on this topic?

Thanks!
/Johan.

Johan Forsman
Geologist
Safe Drinking Water Program
Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals
Office of Public Health
Telephone: 225.342.7309
Telefax: 225.342.7303