[Geomoose-users] GeoMoose for total neophytes

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 10:03:59 PDT 2012

There are two places where you set projections on a typical GeoMoose site.

1) For GeoMoose:  This effects the display projection.  Your data services
need to be able to output in the display projection.  The initial_extent,
max_extent, and scales are all relative to this projection.  Also note, the
initial extent cannot be honored exactly because needs to fit with both the
display aspect ratio and an available scale.  The scales are a fixed set by
default because that is what tiled datasets (eg. Google, Yahoo, OSM, etc.)
require.

2) For MapServer: MapServer needs to know how to transform your data into
the output projection (for use by GeoMoose or other WMS clients).  Thus, in
the mapfiles, you need to tell it your source projection and the allowed
output projections.

Also, keep in mind that if you change projections in the mapbook from the
pseudo standard Web-Mercator projection, you can't expect the "standard"
tilesets  to work.   Of course, if you desire you can build your own
tileset(s) for whatever extent/projecting/scales you are using, but I
wouldn't recommend messing with this starting out.  For GeoMoose to request
the right tile and put it in the right place, it needs to agree with the
tileset exactly on scales, max extent, and projection.  If these don't
match, you may end up with GeoMoose requesting tiles that don't exist which
will likely result in a pink screen.

WMS layers should work so long as the WMS server supports the projection
you are using.  For MapServer, this means the wms_srs (or more generally
the  ows_srs) metadata (in WEB) needs to include that projection (and the
data projection needs to be set either globally for the mapfile or in the
individual layers in the mapfile).