[Geomoose-users] new project an/or extension for geomoose

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Mar 25 09:14:58 PDT 2013

All,

I have some code that we're (The City and a commercial vendor) are interested in open sourcing.  It's related to AVL (GPS tracking of vehicles in our project) and currently consists of PERL (CGI) scripts against PostGres/PostGIS database and schema as well as MapServer.  There are some a variety of mapped based reporting functions as well as online map based visualizers built against GeoMoose and OpenLayers.

We have a desire to more fully integrate the package with GeoMoose as well as build out some new components for handling the updating of the client with some Push functionality as well as animation (updating routines) in GeoMoose to handle the pushed data feeds.

To the question, what are people on the list thoughts about associating this project with  GeoMoose.  It's entirely able to act as a separate entity as well, and the binding of the animation and pushed data feeds could be implemented more as an extension in that case.  The mapping side of the equation can be anything GeoMoose, Open Layers, etc . . .

The tools related to animation and pushed data feeds seemed like they could be reusable by others if integrated into GeoMoose at the core level, hence my questions here, but if the thought is that this should stay separate then so be it.

For a quick look at things, here are some screenshots of the mapping side of things:

http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cp_tiles/tmp/screenshot1.png
http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cp_tiles/tmp/screenshot2.png
http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cp_tiles/tmp/screenshot3.png
http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cp_tiles/tmp/screenshot4.png

There is still a lot of functionality to add to this as well, it's in a serviceable state right now.  Even remaining as a separate project and still related to the GeoMoose stack would be an option as well.

Thanks

For your attention

Bobb