[Geomoose-users] Toolbar Icon options.

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:46:14 PDT 2014

More useful is using a custom webfont for icons.  It has the following
advantages:

1. It doesn't require SVG, Canvas, or Multiple Images.
2. It works on all browsers going back to IE7(ish), IE8 more
practical, and IE9 solidly supports this.
3. It's easy to change the color and size via CSS since it works just
link another font.  Some examples of this are Font Awesome and
Glyphicon (see Bootstrap).
4. If the user bumps up their default font sizes (a browser setting)
then the font will be rendered bigger.  Nothing in the web-application
(or its CSS) needs to change.

Disadvantages exist, however:
1. If your users are using a screen reader then extra care needs to
make sure the screen reader does not read the icon.  Or skips the
label and the ARIA text is on the icon.
2. You only get one color.  It's a font.  There's two colors "on" and
"off."  Typically rendered as black-on-white.
3. IE can actually block fonts from website.  This is a security
setting that can be particularly anal.  I'm not sure what settings
your users have there.  Given the growing popularity of web-fonts even
the most anal security staff is starting to allow use of webfonts.

If this is something super-important to saint paul we can look at
adding it to the 2.8 release planning proces.