[Geomoose-users] WFS-T ideas

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Apr 22 11:46:42 PDT 2016

ZOO-Project (http://zoo-project.org/) can be setup to allow WFS-T
through MapServer; what makes ZOO so attractive is that you can use any
GDAL/OGR backend, so any database format supported by OGR. I really want
to add ZOO-Project to MS4W (it's on my long list of tasks, ha) - but
that will take a lot of effort, and I believe that some code changes
must be contributed back into MapServer source, for everything to work
with MapServer 7.  Anyway, I had already filed this as an enhancement
ticket for MS4W, so I just thought I'd mention it here.  I do realize
that ZOO-Project + GeoMOOSE might seem like overkill for just WFS-T at
the moment, but, if ZOO-Project was already part of MS4W it would make
more sense for you I bet.

K, I'm rambling :)

-jeff

On 2016-04-22 3:34 PM, Brent Fraser wrote:
> Tanya,
>
>    Lots of wanderings.  I ran across http://featureserver.org/ while
> searching for a WFS-T server with more options for a data store back-end
> (like Spatialite).  Looks like support has died out though...
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser
>
> On 4/22/2016 12:06 PM, TC Haddad wrote:
>>
>> Awesome,
>>
>> "exclude_items" was just what I was interested in. Thanks!
>>
>> Interesting topics all of this. I'm very interested in your WFS-T
>> wanderings, even though I don't currently have a project to apply them to.
>>
>> thanks for continuing to prompt,
>>
>> Tanya
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Brent Fraser
>> <bfraser at geoanalytic.com <mailto:bfraser at geoanalytic.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Tanya,
>>
>>       There are a couple of things happening here with respect to
>>     attributes.  As a GeoMOOSE implementer, I can limit the attributes
>>     in the Attribute Dialog by specifying only the ones I want to
>>     present to the user in the <mapsource> definition in the mapbook:
>>
>>             <attribute name="geoid10"    type="user" label="ID:"
>>     default-value="27999"/>
>>             <attribute name="namelsad10" type="user" label="Name:"/>
>>             <attribute name="classfp10" type="select" label=" Type: "
>>     default-value="C5">
>>                 <option value="C1">C1</option>
>>                 <option value="C5">C5</option>
>>             </attribute>
>>
>>     even though there could be an additional 10 attribute fields in
>>     the database for that feature type, the user will never see them.
>>     All good.
>>
>>     The other thing is a little odd.  In my Iceberg application I have
>>     a "created_time" that gets automatically populated by the Postgres
>>     database engine:
>>
>>     created_time timestamp with time zone DEFAULT now(),
>>
>>     In my testing, TinyOWS was generating an error regarding time
>>     formats, which was unexpected since I never listed the
>>     created_time attribute in the mapsource.  It appears TinyOWS gets
>>     all the attributes by default.  I was able to prevent this by
>>     adding a line in the TinyOWS config.xml:
>>
>>     exclude_items="created_time,approved_time,deleted_time,obs_time"
>>

>>     Best Regards,
>>     Brent Fraser
>>
>>     On 4/22/2016 11:38 AM, TC Haddad wrote:
>>>     Hi Brent
>>>
>>>     Just briefly skimming the TinyOWS config options:
>>>
>>>     - XML:
>>>     http://mapserver.org/tinyows/configfile.html#tinyows-configfile
>>>     - Mapfile: http://mapserver.org/tinyows/mapfileconfig.html
>>>
>>>     I don't see a place where you can confine editing to only a
>>>     specific few attributes. It seems like you make the layer
>>>     editable or not (where editing includes geometry and all attributes).
>>>
>>>     I don't know the WFS-T spec well enough to know if it is an
>>>     option in the spec that is just not implemented in TinyOWS, or
>>>     what. Interesting question, will try to look it up.

> [...]

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/