[GeoNode-devel] [GeoNode-users] GeoNode2.8.0 installed from source Thumbnails Error

Jesús de Diego Alarcón jesdial at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 09:49:29 PDT 2018

I suppose that Julierme is following this tutorial:

http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_admin/geonode_install/install_geoserver_application.html

( in fact, I also did and got exactly the same error). In that tutorial all
the URLs related to localhost in the last two steps/pages are set to "
http://localhost".

Regards

Jesús de Diego

>:

> Have you correctly configured the SITEURL?
>
> https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/blob/2.8.0/geonode/settings.py#L632
>

> Il giorno ven 8 giu 2018 alle ore 22:26 Julierme Pinheiro <
> juliermeopensourcedeveloper at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> Dear Toni Schonbuchner and GeoNode developers,
>>
>> First of all, my apologies to bring this topic back to discussion. I had
>> already started with Toni, as shown in the message bellow.
>>
>> I am digging into GeoNode scripts architecture trying to find an issue
>> related to the creation of thumbnails. Let me introduce to you what I have
>> done so far.
>>

>> I have GeoNode at 2.8.0. installed in a virtualenv according to
>> http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_
>> admin/geonode_install/index.html. The thumbnails created by loading data
>> from GeoNode interface do not work at all.
>>
>> They are displayed if and only if I upload the layers from GeoServer
>> interface and in a next step, run python manage.py updatelayers. It is very
>> interesting what happens here: after running updatelayers, if I go to
>> GeoNode interface, I see the thumbnail perfectly fine, but doing a right
>> click over it and copy image location, the response is an OWS url as I am
>> showing bellow. However If a make a request to the database,
>> get_thumbnail_url, the response is a http://localhost:8000/. Why port
>> 8000? Sorry to use this expression, this port 8000 is a nightmare, and I am
>> digging deep trying to find its source.
>>
>> If I remove port 8000, the thumbnails work like a charm in port 80.
>>
>> After following all Toni's recommendations [1] [2] and [3] (please, see
>> the message right in the bottom of this e-mail), I could not find port 8000
>> source. It is in somewhere, and I will keep looking for its source in
>> GeoNode scripts.
>>
>> A brilliant idea came out. Let's compare GeoNode at 2.8.0 stable installed
>> via apt-get with GeoNode at 2.8.0 installed from source in a python
>> virtualenv. I am going through GeoServer data path,  settings.py and
>> local_settings.py, [1], helpers.py [2], and signals.py[3]. I am not sure
>> that is a brilliant idea to find port 8000, my nightmare, but I found
>> another issue in respect to GeoNode apt-get. This issue tells me that port
>> 8000 is not the only one, there is another problem related to thumbnails
>> that occurs either in GeoNode at 2.8.0 installed from source  and
>> GeoNode at 2.8.0 installed via apt-get when updating thumbnails in GeoNode
>> interface and I am showing it bellow:
>>

>> *GeoNode installed from source in a virtualenv*
>>
>> *Thumbnail created by loading data from GeoNode Interface*
>>
>> *Does not work at all*
>>
>> $ sudo geonode shell

>> ...     print tn.get_thumbnail_url()
>> http://localhost:8000/uploaded/thumbs/layer-d3b7e06c-6b4a-11e8-a4cc-
>> 0800277e2fd3-thumb.png
>>
>> *NOTE:* The nightmare is here: port 8000. Why? I have set
> [...]

Jesús de Diego Alarcón
jesdial at gmail.com

"La vida es linda, lo malo es que muchos confunden lindo con fácil."
Mafalda