[GeoNode-devel] GeoNode/GeoServer track user disk usage

Giovanni Allegri giovanni.allegri at geosolutionsgroup.com
Fri May 6 05:29:42 PDT 2022

Dear Pattara,

currently, there's no direct mechanism to calculate the storage space taken
by files uploaded by single users. The Upload model provides a linkage
between a user and the uploaded files, so one could calculate the total
size of uploaded files by a user. however:

 - GeoNode doesn't strictly require the uploaded files to be kept (as
original data copies) inside its storage space. At this moment it's
automatically requested when the upload is performed from the Web UI, but
the upload API provides a flag to request either to keep the uploaded files
or not. This is not a big concern if uploads are performed only through the
Web UI
- GeoNode transfers the uploaded data to Geoserver which, in its turn, will
store it inside its own storage systems (DB for vector data, filesystem for
raster data). This storage space should be taken into account to have the
real total space taken by a user.
- For documents, things are much simpler since they're only stored and
served by GeoNode

By the way, one can assume that files are only uploaded only from the UI
and stored both as a raw copy in GeoNode and as published data in
Geoserver. From the Upload model, the first can be calculated and the
latter can be estimated.

Things will probably change in the future, since there are plans to improve
this flow, avoiding storage duplication as much as possible.

Regards,
Giovanni

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 12:03 PM Pattara Kiatisevi <pattara at longdo.com>
wrote:

> Dear GeoNode-devel,
>
> Is there an easy way to track storage space used by users in GeoNode?
>
> We are thinking of adding a check when uploading and delete layers but
> just in case there is a better way.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Pattara

==

Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services-us for more information.
==

Dott. Giovanni Allegri

Technical Lead / Project Manager

GeoSolutions Group
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 345 2815774

https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com/
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.