[GeoNode-users] Scanning File before or after upload for Virus in Geonode

Patrick Dufour pjdufour.dev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 09:09:38 PDT 2017

Good question!

GeoNode, as well as most open source applications, do not endorse specific
AV software to defend against "watering hole attacks". [1]  This is
something that would need to be added by the organization deploying GeoNode
to their specific deployment.

Importantly, as Simone said, GeoNode doesn't "execute" any documents
uploaded, so is not vulnerable itself to booby trapped word docs, PDFs, etc.

To defend against a watering hole attack, although I've never done it, I'd
think essentially, you'll need to drop to the shell to run an AV command
and then parse the output. [2] If you get a virus hit, then send an email
to admin or something along those lines.  You could create a Django
managment command or directly fork https://github.com/geonode/geonode to
add the new code.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watering_hole_attack

[2] http://stackoverflow.com/quest