[GeoNode-users] Problem with GeoServer

Jonathan Doig j.doig at unsw.edu.au
Wed Aug 16 00:26:28 PDT 2017

Hi Ana

This probably means Geoserver has died and you need to restart it with 'sudo service tomcat7 restart'.

As to the cause, you should check the geoserver logs for ERRORs that occured shortly before or at the time of death. On our system these logs are in /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/geoserver/data/logs.

I've found (on Geonode 2.4) that uploading a shapefile with errors can kill Geoserver. E.g. a shapefile with attribute names that do not start with a letter or contain characters other than letters, digits and underscore. Sad but true.

Good luck!

Jonathan