[Geoprisma-dev] Caching for the Proxy

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Dec 15 13:30:46 EST 2009

> > Response headers *without* TC caching --
> > org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setTileCacheProxyCaching(false); :
> >
> Sorry, maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough : you don't need so set
> both setProxyCaching and setTileCacheProxyCaching, just pick one
> (comment the other).  Was it the problem ?

The problem was that to get response headers suggesting there is no
caching (no expires etc.) one needs to set both caching directives to
false.  If you just set TC to false and not the proxy, the response
headers are the same as if the TC caching was set to true.

> > However, no matter how I set the three set*Caching directives in
> > common.php, at one point tiles get cached in the browser.  It does not
> > seem possible to have AJAX requests for images on every zoom in/out
> > action, which is what I would expect if all flags were set to false.
> >
> On which browser ?  I made some tests on IE and FF and both send
> requests when the cache is turned off.  You can check your apache
> access.log to validate that.

Here's what I did to turn off :

org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setTileCacheProxyCaching(false);
org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setTileCacheProxyCachingExpires(0);

// set WMS proxy caching only
org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setWMSProxyCaching(false);
org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setWMSProxyCachingExpires(0);

// set ALL proxy caching
org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setProxyCaching(false);
org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setProxyCachingExpires(0);

Cleaned the cache in the browser (which the user shouldn't have to do).

FF 3.0.15 on Ubuntu 9.04.  I just checked again, validating the AJAX
requests as seen on Firebug correspond to entries in access_log and
there comes a point where no more requests are made.  Try this : at
level 0 zoom in; there should be 18 requests for level 1.  Go back out.
Zoom in again.  Technically, you should see the same number of requests
always.  But you'll see that the number of requests keeps decreasing
(going back and forth between levels 0 and 1 always) and after 2 or 3
returns you'll see no more requests.  At least that's what I see.  I
also tested on a windows machine : FF 3.0.15 and IE 7 and I see the same
behaviour in access_log ??

Yves