[geos-devel] GNU Changes

Ferdinando Villa fvilla at zoo.uvm.edu
Wed May 28 09:02:10 EDT 2003

I'd just call the files different names. As pointed out in the past,
merging objects from different development trees into one library is not
a clean approach automake-wise - I'd very much prefer building separate
libraries (and use `geos-config --libs` to extract the link parameters,
which is much simpler than doing -Lgeos and having to figure out where
prefix is), or building one library with all the sources in one
directory (which would avoid naming problems from the start). Anyway the
solution here is simple - change filenames...

ciao f

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 01:09, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Yury, beware, I have made a passel of GNU compatibility changes in the
> CVS.
>
> Also, I have a problem:
> The automake / autoconf build process is currently set up to assemble
> all the object files in the source/geom directory, then link them into
> a library. Fine, except we are now getting name collisions between
> objects from different parts of the source tree, namely from
>
> automake: source/geom/Makefile.am: object `Node.lo' created by
> `../index/bintree/Node.cpp' and `../graph/Node.cpp'
> automake: source/geom/Makefile.am: object `Interval.lo' created by
> `../index/strtree/Interval.cpp' and `../index/bintree/Interval.cpp'
>
> The result is unbuildableness.  So, either we get a couple distinct
> names, or figure out a way to marshall the objects within their home
> directories yet still build a unitary library. (I think the reason we
> ended up marshalling everything into source/geom was to get a single
> libgeos.so as a build result.)
>
> Help from the automake/autoconf gurus most appreciated.
> P.
>
>       Paul Ramsey
>       Refractions Research
>       Email: pramsey at refractions.net
>       Phone: (250) 885-0632

ferdinando villa, ph.d.                    associate professor
gund institute for ecological economics, university of vermont
590 main street, burlington, vt 05405    phone: (802) 656-2972