[geos-devel] GEOS versioning

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Jul 20 03:40:32 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:46:01PM -0600, Darren Houston wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I went to the GEOS site to download the hourly cvs snapshot of GEOS only to
> find that the hourly snapshot is not being generated. This indicates to me
> possibly a change in GEOS cvs that broke whatever script generates the hourly
> cvs snapshot.
>
> Our company is going live with PostGIS/GEOS very soon (today I am setting up
> the beta server to beta test). I realize GEOS versioning and interface is
> changing. The current GEOS I use is from cvs from June. I have just grabbed
> GEOS from cvs and will be installing this to the beta server. I have one
> general question;
>
> Are there any caveats you see me running into with the major changes? I use an
> unmodified GEOS accessed only by PostGIS functions through the database.
>
> Thanks for any insight,
>
> Darren H.

As far as you use GEOS only through PostGIS you should have no problems,
but the API change in GEOS requires you to use CVS PostGIS (which is not
*deeply* tested as of GEOS connectivity).
I'd suggest you keep using old GEOS/PostGIS for a go-live and
use new GEOS/PostGIS for your internal work (new GEOS has robust
algorithms).