[geos-devel] Undefine references in libgeos_c 2.2.3

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jul 10 03:22:09 EDT 2006

Hi,

Yesterday, one of GDAL users reported that GDAL CVS does not build
with GEOS 2.2.3.
I investigated the problem and noticed two issues.
The first one is related to GDAL autotools (already fixed).
But the second one seems to be related to GEOS itsef.

I downloaded fresh GEOS 2.2.3 release and build it in standard way:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

Next, I checkouted GDAL from CVS and tried to build it too.
The libgdal library builds and links well, but linking
OGR utilities fails with following message:

/bin/sh /home/mloskot/tmp/gdal-cvs/gdal/libtool --mode=link     g++
ogrinfo.o /home/mloskot/tmp/gdal-cvs/gdal/libgdal.la -o ogrinfo
g++ ogrinfo.o -o .libs/ogrinfo
/home/mloskot/tmp/gdal-cvs/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/lib -lpq -lrt -ldl -lpthread
/usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.so.1: undefined reference to
`geos::WKBReader::read(std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)'
/usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.so.1: undefined reference to
`geos::WKBWriter::write(geos::Geometry const&, std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&)'
/usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.so.1: undefined reference to
`geos::Point::getCoordinatesRO() const'
/usr/local/lib/libgeos_c.so.1: undefined reference to
`geos::WKBWriter::WKBWriter(int, int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [ogrinfo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mloskot/tmp/gdal-cvs/gdal/ogr'
make: *** [ogr-apps] Error 2

I checked 2.2.3 sources and all calls listed above are declared (.h) and
defined (.cpp) properly.

It seems to be a problem with -lgeos -lgeos_c linking but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot