[geos-devel] boost

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Mar 1 08:39:43 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
>
>> Hmm, but what if GEOS core will use e.g. Boost Smart Pointers or
>> Boost.Array library. Then GEOS core will have Boost as a dependency.
>> But I think that should not be a problem.
>
> Mateusz / strk,
>
> I can live with having Boost as a dependency of GEOS if it provides
> substantial leverage in improving GEOS.

The discussion about Boost has been started when I asked about
Unit-Testing Framework. Boost Test components are one of
suggested UTF to port unit tests from JTS.
First, I think it's good to have well working UTF, and if we decide to
use Boost's, then automatically we will have GEOS depending on Boost.

But talking about substantial adventages to GEOS core, I'm not able to
point any concrete place where Boost would be better to replace any
existing piece of code. I only know general advantages of Boost but for
not I'm not able to point any place where to incorporate them.
I think it's an open subject and requires some analysis.

>> There are a few possibilities, e.g.:
>> - Boost is assumed to be installed on users machine
>> - Boost libraries used by GEOS can be included in GEOS source tree,
>> mostly they are poor headers.
>

> I like the idea of including a known compatible version in the GEOS
> source tree, but make sure it is easy to point the builds (unix and
> win32) off to a preinstalled version if there is one.

Yup, good point!

Cheers
--
Mateusz Łoskot