[geos-devel] Petition for a 2.2.2 release

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Thu Mar 23 22:34:47 EST 2006

On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:57 AM, strk at refractions.net wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:37:42PM -0700, Sean Gillies wrote:

>>> Sounds good to me.

>>> Far enough to make 2.2.2 a good idea :)
>>>
>>> --strk;
>>
>> Great! Howard and I committed changes to geos_c.cpp, geos_c.h.in, and
>> also an nmake file into branch-2-2. I also incremented the revision
>> in configure.in so that the C API is 1.0.2, same as the CVS HEAD.
>>
>> Call on me when it is time to release.
>
> Please take a look at the HOW_TO_RELEASE file in HEAD.
> It contains information on the process. It's a pretty
> new file, so let me know if you have any question you'd
> like to discuss.
>
> Note that it has been written w/out thinking about a 2.2.2 release,
> so I'm not sure about implications of the 2.2.2 release.
>
> In particular, in HEAD we decided to name C++ library after release,
> with every release breaking ABI with previous (libgeos-2.2.2.so).
>
> The 2.2. branch shouldn't have this big change, so we should make it
> binary-compatible with the previous, thus only incrementing MICRO
> version (libgeos.so.2.2.2). We should check if everything goes as
> expected still followin the same release process.
>
> --strk;

Alright, I've read it and seems fine, but your uncertainty about the
implications confuses me. I've incremented VERSION_PATCH in
configure.in to 2. Make install results in libgeos.so.2.2.2 and
libgeos_c.so.1.0.2. I've made dist and verfied that the tarball will
build and install. Can we tag it and release?

Sean

---
Sean Gillies
http://zcologia.com