[geos-devel] GetIntersection

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 04:25:59 EDT 2010

Hi list,

We use the GDAL library with GEOS in our ActiveX control: MapWinGIS.ocx.
This ocx is used by MapWindow GIS as the mapping part.

We recently implemented the GetIntersection method from GEOS in our ocx and
I'm running some tests.
When I call the GetIntersection method on several small shapefiles it takes
16 minutes to process 9 shapefiles.
In our ocx we convert from shapefile to the GEOS geometry.

But when I call it with two large shapefiles it is processing a long time
(>5 hours) and then it crashes.
We haven't find out if our ocx is crashing or GEOS, but for now I want to
know if we can set some additional params to improve the performance.

I run the test on a 4core 8GB RAM WinVista and it is only using 650MB of RAM
and only 23-26% of my processor.
I want to let it use more of my resources so it will perform faster. After
that we can look deeper in the crash.

Thanks,

Paul

--