[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Apr 4 16:27:52 PDT 2017

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> I don't know why it bugs me so much about reliance on GitHub, but it
> does.  Perhaps because I feel it's a free lunch that may not be so
> free in the future And also I don't like that policies may be pushed
> down on us that we don't necessarily want and that the incentive
> structure of GitHub is not necessarily aligned with our own and may
> even change based on environmental economics.

Those are good reasons.  Basically, I think Free Software projects
should have hosting provided by a charitable organization with Free
Software among its missions.

I am really unclear on the troubles with people getting osgeo accounts
(have had one for years), but it seems that if that's a reason to use a
proprietary hosting service then it's better to fix the problem.