[geos-devel] FW: When did ST_BuildArea change

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Oct 5 12:25:27 PDT 2020

Opps wrong address sent for Geos.

Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 3:21 PM
To: 'PostGIS Development Discussion' <postgis-devel at lists.osgeo.org>
Cc: 'geos-devel-bounces at lists.osgeo.org'
<geos-devel-bounces at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: When did ST_BuildArea change

I noticed this before but came across it again.

http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/ST_BuildArea.html

At the time I created this page which I am guessing was like circa 2008

This query created a gaping hole.  Now it doesn't so the docs are wrong

SELECT ST_BuildArea(ST_Collect(line,circle))

FROM (SELECT

    ST_Buffer(

        ST_MakeLine(ST_MakePoint(10, 10),ST_MakePoint(190, 190)),

                5)  As line,

    ST_Buffer(ST_GeomFromText('POINT(100 90)'), 50) As circle) As foo;

--this creates the same gaping hole

--but using linestrings instead of polygons

SELECT ST_BuildArea(

    ST_Collect(ST_ExteriorRing(line),ST_ExteriorRing(circle))

    )

FROM (SELECT ST_Buffer(

    ST_MakeLine(ST_MakePoint(10, 10),ST_MakePoint(190, 190))

        ,5)  As line,

    ST_Buffer(ST_GeomFromText('POINT(100 90)'), 50) As circle) As foo;

Docs say this:

But when I run in pgAdmin4 I get this:

Does anyone know when this behavior changed and why?  I'm assuming it is a
GEOS change, so cc'ing GEOS dev as well.

More depressing is my signature symmetric podded Bee Hive on this page
(circa 2010(

http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/ST_LongestLine.html

Which looked like this (minus the longest line of course) - beautiful isn't
it?

Now looks like a shadow of its former self

Thanks,

Regina