[geos-devel] Testing OverlayNG robustness in R-sf

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Oct 17 06:02:53 PDT 2020

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020, Martin Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:59 AM Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>
>> Cases 794 and 936 are all-by-all intersections, and as noted in the latter
>> issue, the problems occurring differ by input order.
>>

> Well, that's disappointing that 794 and 936 still have failures.
> Especially because 794 was also reported as JTS 300:
>
> https://github.com/locationtech/jts/issues/300
>
> and the test data there is incoporated in the robustness test suilte in
> both JTS [1] and GEOS [2] , where it passes using OverlayNG.
>
> Is there any way to get a dump of the actual input geometries to GEOS which
> are causing these errors?

I've prepared a 13.7GB WKT file (I think - trying to tidy it up), but this
looks like overkill. My present take after stepping back from the original
question - which language multipolygons intersect each other and what are
the combined geometries - to run N=7510 intersections between all and each
in turn. These did not fail with Overlay-NG, but maybe didn't fail before
either. All with all was probably an unhelpful understanding of how
intersection works initially. Further, the list of all-with-each contains
many non-polygon artefacts, which probably need to be discarded anyway.

So far for now,

Roger

--
Roger Bivand