[geos-devel] The Road to 3.10

Mike Taves mwtoews at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 03:42:22 PDT 2021

On Sat, 11 Sept 2021 at 11:15, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:

> One thing worthy of discussion is pushing forward the cmake dependency. If we pop forward to 3.12 we can fix this issue cleanly by using OBJECT instead of STATIC linking for our vendored deps.
>
> https://github.com/libgeos/geos/issues/463
>
> 3.12.0 was released in 2018. I personally at this point just use the latest cmake build, which is so easy to do (download package, unzip in /usr/local).

Probably fine, but this may annoy CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 18.04 users.
https://pkgs.org/search/?q=cmake

As this is a fundamental development component, should the minimum
supported CMake be guided by PSC policy? An RFC would only need to say
"released within X years" or perhaps "oldest supported version by
popular OS Z", This way the policy may guide if/when to increment the
minimum version of the component. See related
https://proj.org/community/rfc/rfc-3.html