Help: grass port to HP700 series?

Rob Knauerhase rob at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Thu Apr 2 18:23:50 EST 1992

In an E-mail message, Tim Martin; FSO; Soil Sciences said:
>station I buy.  I am impressed by the new Hewlett-Packard 700 series
>computers.  Has anyone ported GRASS to this platform?  (Commercial
>or individual?)

I haven't heard of any such effort, but if I'm wrong someone will surely
correct me.  If you have to make many modifications, be sure to save the
diffs in case someone else wants to do the same.

>  I hope to try to port it myself, if it isn't too
>difficult.  Any help, tips, referrals are appreciated.  Thanks.

While HP/UX is System V-based, it has little quirks that make porting things
an interesting experience (not just GRASS, but anything else you might
acquire); as one high-level example, they provide "hpterm" instead of
"xterm", which makes some applications unhappy, so you have to get xterm
sources and compile them.  There are other little picky things I've been
annoyed by in HP/UX; some of this is perhaps a result of my inexperience with
System V Unix, but much of it has been echoed by people far more guru-ish
than I.

The new 9000/700 (Snake series) machines _fly_, however, so many people don't
mind a bit of incompatibility.  If you want raw speed, that's the current
winner and probably will be for a year or so (depending on whose rumor mill
you listen to.)

All the above advice should be taken as "from your friendly neighborhood CS
grad student" and not official CERL opinion on HP, HP/UX, or anything like
that...

Rob
--
Rob Knauerhase [rob at amber.cecer.army.mil] Office of Grass Integration,
Construction Engineering Research Labs, US Army Corps of Engineers (USA-CERL)