MULTIPLE ATTRIBUTES FOR RASTER FILES

Chaitanya S. Rajguru rajguruc at vttcf.cc.vt.edu
Fri Feb 28 10:47:04 EST 1992

Hi.

I need to represent multiple attributes in GRASS raster files.
For example, surface roughness, dielectric constant, veg. cover, etc.
I can think of two ways to do this:

	1. create multiple raster maps for the terrain, one for
	   each attribute. The attribute in each file stores the value
	   for the original attribute.

	2. have the single attribute in the raster file store the
	   values of all the attributes after encoding them, e.g.
	   the first digit in the attributes represents roughness,
	   the second, veg. cover, and so on.

I can understand that the second method is extremely dirty in terms
of simplicity, expandability, etc. But I would like to know if anyone
has tried it. ANY other comments are welcome.

-Raj

MOBILE AND PORTABLE RADIO		 rajguruc at vttcf.cc.vt.edu
  RESEARCH GROUP			 raj at mprg1.mprg.ee.vt.edu
Dept. of Electrical Engg.		 (703) 231-4160
VPI&SU