$LOCATION/.tmp/hostname/files

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Jan 31 09:33:50 EST 1992

GRASS programs create these .tmp files. Some remove them,  others
don't.   Sometimes  this  is  due to programmer negligence, other
times due to machine crashes, program crashes, etc.  There  is  a
program  in  the GRASS etc/ directory class clean_temp. It is run
at the end  of  each  GRASS  session  and  cleans  up  this  .tmp
directory.  It  only  removes  files that have process-ids in the
name of processes that are no longer running.  If you leave GRASS
and  there  are  programs  running  in the background, temp files
"owned" by these processes are not removed (for obvious reasons).
If  you  use GRASS on a regular basis then eventually these files
will be removed. But if you only run GRASS once in a while, it is
possible  that .tmp files created by background processes will be
left around for a while (ie, until the   processes   finish   and
you  re-enter  and  exit  from  GRASS  using  the  same database,
location, and mapset).