Subject: Re: [GRASS5] compiling beta10 on IRIX and CYGWIN/WIN32

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Mon Dec 18 03:51:20 EST 2000

Hi Andreas

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi Justin, Hi Malcolm,
> - there is no clear bin. But "tput clear" works. This works for me on
> Linux, IRIX and CYGWIN, so IMHO it can be changed.

OK, I'll make the change in CVS and see what happens.

> - on CYGWIN $SHELL is always "/bin/sh", even if running in bash. This > is the reason grass5 starts always with sh. If i do a "export
> SHELL=`which bash`" before starting grass5, it does not work, as SHELL
> is set to "D:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe", so that `basename $SHELL` is
> bash.exe. If i add bash|bash.exe) in the shell check in Init.sh,
> everything starts up as expected, but $ETC/run $SHELL gets into a dead
> loop. If i Ctrl-C, i am in a grass session (but PS1 and others are not
> correctly set), if i wait, the PATH-variable is expanded until the
> resource is exhausted and i get a "fork: resource not available". I
> can manually start $ETC/run $SHELL with SHELL=/bin/bash or
> SHELL=D:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe. I am totally clueless whats happening
> here. I tested many combinations. Only the /bin/sh setup works.
>
> PATH is set to something like this (only snippet):
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:...

Hmmm. It appears as if the $ETC/run $SHELL program is getting stuck in
the "search the path for exe file" part of the program. I have attached
a new version of run.c which uses execvp() instead of execv() which uses
the system to search the path. Please try this version of run.c and see
what happens. If it is successful, I will submit it to CVS since it will
get rid of most of the code in run.c. It seems to work for me on IRIX
but that doesn't mean anything. :)

> I just want a grass session running through the bash shell, as working
> without command completion and command history is a pain. I fear that
> simply copying bash.exe to sh.exe will break something else on the
> CYGWIN system.
>
> What i noted too: If i delete .grassrc, .gislock (after killing the
> dead loop this is left behind) and the .bashrc etc. in the mapset i
> work in and re-start grass5, i get not the message that no X window
> system is running. This is only shown sometimes when starting up the
> session again. Very strange. Is this stored somewhere else than in the
> .grassrc file?

This is very strange indeed. The X Windows message is supposed to appear
if you do not have a DISPLAY variable defined. But I never saved that
variable to the .grassrc5 (and it shouldn't be saved there) so the
existance of .grassrc5 should not matter.

Hope this helps.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th