[GRASS5] Compile Grass 5 on Win 32

Mike Thomas mthomas at gil.com.au
Mon Jun 5 18:09:12 EDT 2000

Hi John.

Thanks for the replies - this has been an interesting journey through the
Cygwin tools on Windows 98.

>Read the INSTALL file.  You must do the configure first.

Did that.  The problem was the version of Cygwin.  I found that by starting
with the B20 installation, updating to GCC 2.95.2 from Mumit Khan's site,
updating BASH to 2.04, updating Cygwin DLL to the version which comes out of
the Cygwin "latest" setup.exe program (definitely *not* the one which
setup.exe installs off the internet as they are different, and the latter
version causes make to have the problems I reported) I was able to get a
compile of sorts.

Restarted the computer mid compile because the Cygwin tools have a bad
memory leak!

>The mkfifo command under Cygwin is not operational yet.
>It is scheduled to be done this summer.  Everything else
>builds.

I got most of it to build bar the NVIZ and 3d stuff at the end, although the
xdr functions were not picked up during links, so I'll investigate further
tonight.

Grass does not recognise the cygwin TERM, I have to set it to ansi!

Grass freezes if I try and run g.help or s.in.ascii.  Any ideas?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.