[GRASS5] Splitting GRASS 5 into stable and unstable

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 4 14:53:31 EDT 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Markus Neteler wrote:

> as GRASS 5 becomes partly stable, it will be a good idea to release a
> stable and a developers version. As discussed with Bernhard, a GRASS 5
> numbering scheme analogous to the Linux numbering scheme would be useful:
>
> Odd number for development versions, even for stable versions:
>       5.1.0 is the first development tree release
>       5.0.0 is the first stable release

Markus,

  I support this wholeheartedly. Perhaps the stable modules in 5 could be
repackaged as grass-5.0-rc1 (Release Candidate 1). When it's complete
enough for release, off it goes as grass-5.0.

  New modules could be accumulated as they are debugged, then a group of
them could be released as 5.0.1, the next batch as 5.0.2 and so on.

> Due to these heavy changes GRASS 5.1.0 (devel) might become less stable as
> GRASS 5 beta8 (or 5.0.0) for some time. But this code structure update is
> necessary.

  In the meantime, code changes (data format, too) to the released modules
form the core of grass-5.1.0. Those who have the inclination, and time, to
focus on the developmental code can do so while those who need a production
release would have that, too. Personally, I need both.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com