[GRASS5] configure.in Wants testers...

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Nov 28 10:14:25 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 05:33:33PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> "Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> > Well, the problem really seems to be with the way configure handles
> > $bindir.  It is always set to something (at least here).  Also, my
> > autoconf choked on the AC_BINDIR_DEFAULT() macro (claiming no such
> > thing exists).  $bindir is always apparently set to
> > ${exec_prefix}/bin, and ${exec_prefix} is always set to ${prefix}
> > (these are defaults).  So I can't figure out how to have the --bindir
> > command work, but use the /usr/local/bin as a default.  Piece of cake
> > if I ignore --bindir and go back to using --with-bindir (as it was
> > set-up before).
>
> Good news!!! I found the error with the BINDIR stuff in configure.in.
> The problem was that the test for $exec_prefix was testing if the
> variable existed. Apparently autoconf defines it as NONE. So the test
> needs to compare with NONE. I changed the line from:
>
> if test -z "${exec_prefix}"; then
>
> to the following:
>
> if test "${exec_prefix}" = "NONE"; then
>
> And now the following appears in my Makefile after running configure
>
> prefix=                 /usr/local/grass5
>
> exec_prefix=            /usr/local
>
> BINDIR=			${exec_prefix}/bin
>
> I didn't test anything else though (--bindir or --with-bindir)
Hi Justin,

it seems not to help on Linux :-( But I'll wait for the reply from
Eric (using Linux, too).

> > As far as the headers and libraries, does it work with the
> > --with-tcltk-includes=[DIRs] --with-tcltk-libs=[DIRS] ?
>
> It almost works. I get the following using those two options:
>
> checking for /usr/include/tk.h... no
> checking for /usr/include/tcl.h... no
> checking TK include dirs...  -I/usr/local/include
> checking TCL include dirs...  -I/usr/local/include
> checking additional TCL and TK library dirs...  -L/usr/local/lib
> checking for Tk_MainWindow in -ltk$(grep #define TCL_VERSION
> /usr/local/include/tcl.h | sed -e s/^\(.*\)\"\(.*\)\"$/\2/)...
> ./configure[3482]: no space
>
> I don't know what is happening here but before it printed the error, it
> paused for a while if that means anything.

A similar crash occurs on Solaris and CRAY.
I have used the configure build on Linux (as no autoconf is on "my"
CRAY and Solaris):

Solaris:
[...]
checking for /usr/include/tk.h... no
checking for /usr/include/tcl.h... no
./configure: syntax error at line 3353: 'tcltk_ver=$' unexpected

CRAY:
[...]
checking for /usr/include/tk.h... no
checking for /usr/include/tcl.h... no
checking TK include dirs...
configure: warning: *** Didn't find tk.h, maybe okay...
checking TCL include dirs...
configure: warning: *** Didn't find tcl.h, maybe okay...
configure: warning: *** Unable to find TCL/TK libraries and headers
checking libpq-fe.h...
configure: warning: *** libpq-fe.h not found, but needed for PostgreSQL
support
checking libpq paths...  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib
checking for PQcmdTuples in -lpq... (cached) no
checking GL/gl.h and GL/GLwMDrawA.h... configure: error: *** Didn't find
GL/GLwMDrawA.h
t3e:grass:531$

-> so on CRAY the GL/gl.h and GL/GLwMDrawA.h test break the script.
Eric, please remove the "exit"s from these lines:
Row 3870, Row 3873 (configure)

diff configure configure.org
3870c3870
<               { echo "configure: error: *** Didn't find GL/gl.h" 1>&2; }
---
>               { echo "configure: error: *** Didn't find GL/gl.h" 1>&2; exit 1; }
3873c3873
<               { echo "configure: error: *** Didn't find GL/GLwMDrawA.h" 1>&2; }
---
>               { echo "configure: error: *** Didn't find GL/GLwMDrawA.h" 1>&2; exit 1; }

This will be the same issue as the complaint from Bernhard (when he
--asked for a disable-opengl).

Markus