[GRASS5] configure.in Wants testers...

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Nov 28 05:33:33 EST 2000

Hi Eric

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> Well, the problem really seems to be with the way configure handles
> $bindir.  It is always set to something (at least here).  Also, my
> autoconf choked on the AC_BINDIR_DEFAULT() macro (claiming no such
> thing exists).  $bindir is always apparently set to
> ${exec_prefix}/bin, and ${exec_prefix} is always set to ${prefix}
> (these are defaults).  So I can't figure out how to have the --bindir
> command work, but use the /usr/local/bin as a default.  Piece of cake
> if I ignore --bindir and go back to using --with-bindir (as it was
> set-up before).

Good news!!! I found the error with the BINDIR stuff in configure.in.
The problem was that the test for $exec_prefix was testing if the
variable existed. Apparently autoconf defines it as NONE. So the test
needs to compare with NONE. I changed the line from:

if test -z "${exec_prefix}"; then

to the following:

if test "${exec_prefix}" = "NONE"; then

And now the following appears in my Makefile after running configure

prefix=                 /usr/local/grass5

exec_prefix=            /usr/local

BINDIR=			${exec_prefix}/bin

I didn't test anything else though (--bindir or --with-bindir)

> As far as the headers and libraries, does it work with the
> --with-tcltk-includes=[DIRs] --with-tcltk-libs=[DIRS] ?

It almost works. I get the following using those two options:

checking for /usr/include/tk.h... no
checking for /usr/include/tcl.h... no
checking TK include dirs...  -I/usr/local/include
checking TCL include dirs...  -I/usr/local/include
checking additional TCL and TK library dirs...  -L/usr/local/lib
checking for Tk_MainWindow in -ltk$(grep #define TCL_VERSION
/usr/local/include/tcl.h | sed -e s/^\(.*\)\"\(.*\)\"$/\2/)...
./configure[3482]: no space

I don't know what is happening here but before it printed the error, it
paused for a while if that means anything.

> Sorry I'm not better at this configure stuff.  I'm a lousy shell
> programmer to begin with ;)

No need to apologize. We all are learning things. I'm just happy you had
the guts to tackle this beast in the first place :)

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center