[GRASS5] New initialization code

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Nov 28 04:20:41 EST 2000

Hi Justin,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 12:45:01PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have just commited code to CVS for a new initialization script. Please
> update the src/general/init and src/tcltkgrass directories and then run
> gmake5 in these two directories. This should (I hope) create a new
> grass5 script.
it's working excellent!

Note: Those being using the new configure.in may mv the new startup from
$GISBASE/bin to /usr/[local/]bin.

> The new script will use tcltkgrass by default and bring up a window to
> ask for the Location and Mapset. If wish is not found on the system, it
> will default to the old text interface. Also flags can be passed to
> grass5 to indicate which interface you want.
>
> grass5 -tcltk => Tcl/Tk interface
> grass5 -text => text based interface
>
> For those who choose the text based interface but still want to run
> tcltkgrass just type tcltkgrass as always.
Working well. There is only one strange thing (not too important):

If I am within the GRASS shell, the "cd" does not bring me home any
more.

Another suggestion:
Please add a line about tcltkgrass on text welcome screen:

[...]
Help is available with the command:      g.help
See the licence terms with:              g.version
Start the graphical user interface with: tcltkgrass&    <-!
When ready to quit enter:                exit

or something like this as a reminder.

Another thing: When starting
grass5 -text
and starting tcltkgrass within GRASS shell,, the file
$HOME/.tcltkgrass
is not read. If I start
grass5
or
grass5 -tcltk

it is read.

However these are minor things only.

> Finally a help flag is also available for the grass5 script, valid flags
> are "-h", "-help", "--help", and "help". Huidae, could you please edit
> the src/general/init/grass.src file to update the usage message to
> comply with the flags you added to start grass given default locations
> and mapsets? I could not remember how you intended the flags to be used.
>
> Note that this is only a simple interface for the grass 5 stable
> release. I am still working on a more detailed interface for grass 5.1.
>
> As always, please send any problems or comments to this list.

Thanks for your work, Justin,

it seems to be time to publish GRASS 5 beta9 now!

Yours

 Markus