[GRASS5] Re: bug in configure routine

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Nov 24 01:46:27 EST 2000

Hi Eric

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 01:55:54PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> > Yeah it's strange. On SGI, the XDRLIB is usually -lsun, however, I
> > noticed that a lot of modules were indicating that -lsun wasn't
> > being used when I was compiling. So to determine which modules were
> > dependent
>
> Does the -lsun "not used" or whatever break the compile or is it just
> an informative message?  I'm not sure, but I'd think most modules
> don't need it, but libgis.a does.  If libgis.a already has the XDRLIB
> compiled in statically, then maybe the linker just refuses to include
> it twice (good!).  But where it is not built into libgis.a, not having
> the flag will cause libgis.a to fail.  If it doesn't break the
> compile, I'd rather leave it in for now.  Seems at least libgis.a
> would need it, even if the modules don't???  Maybe the functions or
> XDRLIB are built into SGI's C library?  I could put in a check before
> the checks for XDRLIB if that is the case.  Then I'd feel comfortable
> allowing XDRLIB to be empty.

The libgis.a library compiles and links without error. I checked out the
current CVS, ran configure, and then deleted the -lsun option for XDRLIB
from the head file. Then I ran make install and src/libes/gis did not
report any errors. I don't know why it didn't fail. Perhaps you are
right about the necessary functions being in SGI's standard C library.
Do you know what functions those are?

Here are the modules that caused errors

Module source code not installed: html (ignored)
Module source code not installed: src/general/g.version (ignored)
Module source code not installed: src/raster/r.in.gdal (ignored)
Module source code not installed: src/raster/r.in.png (ignored)
Module source code not installed: src/raster/r.out.png (ignored)
Module source code not installed: src/raster/r.tiff (ignored)
Module source code not installed: src/sites/s.qcount (ignored)
Module source code not installed: src.contrib/UCB/gdbase (ignored)

None of the errors in these modules seem to be caused by the missing
XDRLIB option. Let me know if you want me to try for a clean compile.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center