[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sun Nov 19 19:36:36 EST 2000

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 08:18:21PM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> The problem with the pnm.h etc is indeed that the r.in.png and r.out.png
> depend on the netpbm library. This is always installed on Linux and most
> other Unix.

Not so.  On many Linux distributions it is not installed unless some
other product depends on it.  It is fairly small (528Kb Intel bin) and
so placing a dependency on it does not seem to me to be a worry.

> I personally think that we shouldn't waste time on re-writing
> r.in.png/r.out.png to remove the dependency on this library, but look
> for a more generic solution for the import of non-georeferenced images.
> I'll check in some thoughts of mine in the next days. I think we should
> look for a general library that handles the usual image formats (png,
> jpeg, etc.).

Last I checked, netpbm is the best for this sort of stuff.  Rather than
write a converter from any image format to any other, netpbm solves the
issue by adopting a common intermediate format, and supplying converters
to and from that format.