[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Sun Nov 19 15:46:02 EST 2000

Hi Eric,

Eric G . Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 08:05:59PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > I personally think that we shouldn't waste time on re-writing
> > > r.in.png/r.out.png to remove the dependency on this library, but look
> > > for a more generic solution for the import of non-georeferenced images.
> > > I'll check in some thoughts of mine in the next days. I think we should
> > > look for a general library that handles the usual image formats (png,
> > > jpeg, etc.).
> > Yes, that would be the best. Probably the GDAL could help here.
>
> I'd think netpbm is pretty portable.  But I could be wrong.

Yes, netpbm is portable. There is IMHO even a DOS version. But i think
that it would be better in the long run to have _one_ import program for
all image formats instead for the r.in.{png|gif|tiff|...} and
r.out.{png|gif|tiff|...}. This is much work to maintain and confusing
for users.

> > > For the float.h: does this introduce problems on other systems?
> > > maybe a #ifdef __CYGWIN__ would be better.
> > I don't think this ifdef is required. I had to add it to r.in.dem as
> > well (for MacOS). The Linux likes it, too. It's present on SUN/Solaris.
> > On CRAY it is o.k., too. What about SGI?
>
> What's the problem with float.h?  I know I've used it in a couple places
> for DBL_MIN, DBL_MAX and friends (not in limits.h).  I thought this was
> a standard header ???

We discussed this some time ago on this list. But i can't memorize the
result. I faintly remember problems with the BSD flavours. There must be
a reason why Huidae Cho didn't include float.h i assume.

A side note to Markus: Please refer to Mac OS X, not to MacOS, as that
are two _very_ different things.

cu,

Andreas
Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net