[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Nov 19 15:05:59 EST 2000

Hi Andreas,

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 08:18:21PM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> your are much too fast for me ;-).
Just wanted to be a bit of help :-)

> I want to first check any changes on
> Linux and with the cygnus setup, but re-compiling with cygnus needs
> several hours. Now i know what John Huddleston is talking about.
I see, I didn't know that.

> The problem with the pnm.h etc is indeed that the r.in.png and r.out.png
> depend on the netpbm library. This is always installed on Linux and most
> other Unix. I never tested if this library compiles under Cygwin. I'll
> add this dependency to the REQUIREMENTS file.
O.k.

> I personally think that we shouldn't waste time on re-writing
> r.in.png/r.out.png to remove the dependency on this library, but look
> for a more generic solution for the import of non-georeferenced images.
> I'll check in some thoughts of mine in the next days. I think we should
> look for a general library that handles the usual image formats (png,
> jpeg, etc.).
Yes, that would be the best. Probably the GDAL could help here.

> For the float.h: does this introduce problems on other systems?
> maybe a #ifdef __CYGWIN__ would be better.
I don't think this ifdef is required. I had to add it to r.in.dem as
well (for MacOS). The Linux likes it, too. It's present on SUN/Solaris.
On CRAY it is o.k., too. What about SGI?

> For g.html2man:
> Another solution would be to maintain the man-pages on the server and to
> automatically update them there and check them in. I have no idea if
> this is possible or better.
Mhh, I don't get it. You think to maintain MAN format? At least I
don't know how to write it (HTML is much easier). If you think of an
*online* version, please consider that many users don't have
permanent access (or access at all, those CDROM users).

> Converting the perl script to a sed/shell script is possible, but this
> would hurt performance (we had this situation already!).
Yes, probably we need PERL as requirement...

> Does anybody know if there is a tcl/tk X11 wish with the Cygwin port of
> X11R6? If not, i see not how tcltkgrass will work in the cygwin port.
Hi John! Any suggestions?

Andreas, did you see this:
http://www.scriptics.com/customers/success/cygnus.tml?sc_format=print
I don't know if it is the right thing.