[GRASS5] Deprecated code

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Thu Oct 19 00:29:22 EDT 2000

Hello all developers

Some files have been found that appear to be deprecated, and as such we
have recently started to mark files and code as deprecated for deletion
for Grass 5.1. Basically, we are inserting a comment with the "mark"

***DEPRECATED***

in files that are deemed to be deprecated or similarily for portions of
code as well.

If you know of any files or code that is deprecated, then please insert
this "mark" appropriately. We can then easily remove all deprecated code
from the CVS tree before the release of Grass 5.1.

Example: For a file that is deprecated

Simply insert a comment at the top of the file like
	/* ***DEPRECATED*** */

Example: For a code snippet

Insert a comment above the deprecated code clearly describing what part
of the code is deprecated

	/* Function G_some_name() ***DEPRECATED*** remove for 5.1 */

	/* ***DEPRECATED*** code remove next 5 lines for 5.1 */

	/* Start ***DEPRECATED*** code */
	<some lines of code>
	/* End ***DEPRECATED*** code */

For actual code examples already in the CVS tree see the files
src/libes/gis/openvect.c and src/libes/gis/Gmakefile

Thank you for your time and if we make this small change, then we can
clean up a lot of code.

Thanks to David Gray for making this suggestion.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center