[GRASS5] attribute lines

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Oct 18 22:08:53 EDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 02:18:31PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a definitive spec for the formatting of a line in a dig_att
> database file? There are several options in src/include/dig_att.h. You
> could use that to format the lines with write_att() but that truncates
> the decimal digits to 2, which is not satisfactory in many instances.
> Also it does not produce lines the same length as those created by some
> other modules.

I didn't find one in the grassprogman50.pdf, so I assumed there wasn't.
But, yes 2 decimals is often not sufficient.  When I updated s.to.vect,
I just followed the example of writing the file directly.  This, of
course, seems really bad form.  The structure of this file is described
in the programming manual.  Frankly, I think it is fairly limiting.
This and the dig_cats thing need to be addressed in any update to the
Vect_lib.

On a related note:  Since I know you're pretty familiar with vector
processing in GRASS, I've a little question.  There's this idea that a
site_list can have a floating point category value.  While it doesn't
make any sense to me, I've been trying to accomodate it.  Anyway, when I
updated s.to.vect, I ran into the problem that vectors can't really have
floating point category values.  s.to.vect, for instance, currently
writes a floating point dig_att like 'P <east> <north> DD.dddd' and a
dig_cat that matches like 'DD.dddd:"Yankee Doodle Dandy"'.  Anyway, when
v.support is run, the category file is left untouched, but all of the
floating point category numbers in the dig_att are truncated.  Of
course, then you have a broken "link" between the two.  Perhaps this
problem is really this conception that a site can have a floating point
category (wouldn't it be better for any raster to site program to write
an integer cat [or none] and put any float values in either a
"dimension" field or a "decimal" attribute (also redundant as well
IMHO)).  I'd appreciate an insight you might have.

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found