[GRASS5] Thought on my CVS problem

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed Sep 13 04:06:05 EDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:58:39AM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:26:02AM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> > Yes, I agree that the compilation or configure output files should be
> > removed from the CVS tree.
> I also agree, but we must have them in the tarball,
> so there should be a target to just build them if we remove them from
> the CVS version.
> Not everybody has a recent autoconf or flex/bison installed and properly
> configured. Which means we are excluding some people from using the
> CVS directly. (I do not think it is a problem, but it should be noted.)

I will politely continue to disagree.

Those people can go get a recent autoconf or flex/bison installed, if
they are wanting to compile the sources.  Some of the build utilities
may have architecture dependencies that render their output wrong for
the platform the end user of a tarball tries to compile on.

Example: assume you use a Linux Intel machine to build the flex/bison
output, and further assume that flex/bison generates 32-bit specific
code on your machine.  It gets committed to CVS or saved in the tarball,
and then I install it on my Linux Alpha machine.  I blindly try to
build and the 32-bit code is used on my 64-bit machine, causing
problems.  I end up writing lots of mail, and eventually someone says
"oh, try deleting the source files generates by flex or bison".

Doesn't seem right, somehow.

Most other open source packages require that I have the tools to build
them.

> > Further, the files named should be included in a .cvsignore file in
> > the directory that they will reside, and the .cvsignore files should be
> > in CVS.
> This only helps with imports, right?

No, it also helps with commit and diff, the files listed in .cvsignore
don't get listed with a question mark beside them.  You should be able
to do a "make distclean" before a "cvs diff" and see no extra files
mentioned.  Good test of the coverage of .cvsignore.  It also helps to
make sure that you have all the source files properly added to CVS.