[GRASS5] Some test results W98 and NT4) for XServer and image import/digitisation

Mike Thomas miketh at brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Mon Apr 30 03:40:47 EDT 2001

Hi all.

I have not been able to test this stuff on non-Windows platforms, and
probably won't be able to - so depend on others for that.  Some of these
problems may be cross-platform.  Thanks to the various people who helped get
me up an running.

I built Saturday's CVS pre-release sources with Malcolm's proposed W98
fixes, under Cygwin on Win98.

For comparison I also built the Monday CVS pre-release (not including
Malcolm's W98 fixes) under Cygwin on NT 4, on a different computer.

SUMMARY:

Good news: The results for both OS/XServer combinations seem to be similar,
except for the monitor startup delay problems already discussed by others.
I was not able to do an exact comparison as I did not have exactly the same
data at hand on each computer.

Bad news: The v.digit mouse problem is not good, and happens on both W98 and
NT with two different XServers (one of which is professional).

DETAILS:

 --- d.mon and xserver worked OK and d.rast seems to display some files OK
eg Spearfish's "geology" cell map and others.

--- d.where worked OK with the mouse.

--- v.digit (mouse digitising) would not respond to mouse clicks - so
doesn't work.

--- Spearfish's "soils.ph" cell map fails to display with error messages
about compressed files.  (See next problem for example error message.)

--- r.in.ppm - imported a ppm file into an XY location using default
parameters, and when I tried to d.rast again with the newly imported cell
map, I got similar error messages about compressed file problems, to those
with the Spearfish data - this is a completely new file created with the
latest release candidate version of Grass - so there should not be a
compression problem?.  Errors:
FLAG: Set the following flag?
    Invert catlist?(y/n) [n]
WARNING: Fail of initial read of compressed file [u2ppm in miketh]
WARNING: unable to open raster map [u2ppm in miketh]
ERROR: Not able to open cellfile for [u2ppm]

--- When setting up an XY projection location, the number of rows and
columns are reported as one less than they should be, ie as zero based
rather than one based? (Minor feedback problem - I have also seen this on
Linux)

--- r.in.tiff fails at startup on W98 with a pop up notification about
insufficient memory, and on NT4 with:

GRASS://e/cvs/reldevgrass > r.in.tiff
ERROR: unable to run
       /cvs/reldevgrass/dist.i686-pc-cygwin/etc/bin/cmd/r.in.tiff

Sorry to dump these on you, but I am unable to guarantee enough time to
track the bugs in the source code at present.  Once again thanks for all the
wonderful work on Windows Grass.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.